19 is one of two simultaneous mixtape releases from Kool A.D (the other being 63). It also represents the first release since the break up of Das Racist.
In short, 19 is a less aggressive and more ridiculous version of Kool Keith's Commi$$ioner mixtape series i.e. rapping in your best ransom demanding voice. Throughout the album Kool A.D. succumbs to Bieber fever and also lifts a large percentage of lyrics from other artists while also recycling a few of his own. As a pay-what-you-want release, this is acceptable (perhaps the constant shoutouts to Beiber go a bit far), and the opening 'Knowledge Born' reminds us of this and not to hate the player, but to hate the mixtape game (using the Skinny Boys' 'Jock Box' beatbox aka the theme from Workaholics). Mixtapes have always been a bit of a mixed bag (seriously, no pun intended), but Kool A.D. continues the Das Racist tradition of releasing tapes that are a bit ridiculous, yet somehow have an air of ingenuity about them.
There's not really any masterful tracks on here and it really is a case of the whole tape being greater than the sum of its individual tracks. However, there are a few tracks worth mentioning:
- 'Marine World Africa USA' is this a reference or a dig at Heem's Wild Water Kingdom?
- 'Fresh Prince' is a really, really, truely terrible track. It really does sound like a leftover from The Commi$$ioner that goes on for way too long. It even lifts a very similar line from 'Kool Keith Housing Things'
Ironically Stupid, What are you cupid? With a weak ass bow and arrow, you couldn't shoot it.
- 'NPR' is produced by Ad-Rock and probably should been the track titled 'Fresh Prince' as it recites said theme. As far as I can tell it contains little-to-no original lyrics and is mostly snippets of random lyrics such as Beck's 'Loser' and Wu-Tang's 'C.R.E.A.M.'
- 'Attitude' is some awful house track that doesn't feature Kool A.D.
- 'All Skreets' is the only content-serious track and touches on the current hot topic of gun control.
Perhaps Kool A.D. is just pushing the boundaries to see how much he can get away with before people start tuning out? As long as the price is right, I don't care if he is taking the piss and I will continue to tune in. Why? Because the bottom line is that this nonsense is fun and to quote the final words of the album
Calm down, it's just music.
- Hawaii 510
- Knowledge Born
- New World
- Marine World Africa U.S.A.
- Beautiful Naked Psychedelic Gherkin Exploding Tomato Sauce All Over Your Face
- Wow (Bay Shit)
- Hawaii 510
- Fresh Prince
- Jaleel White
- Jenny Holzer
- Kriss Kross
- Cheeba Cheeba
- All Skreets
- Finally Every Dimension of the Skreets